Delivering for the Nation campaign

What to do

If you are having a problem at work, be assured: the FDA has a successful track record of providing members with highly personalised and quality representation services. We help 100's of members each year and enjoy a high rate of success in helping members with their cases.

What if I have a problem?

If you are concerned about a problem at work, the first thing you should do is speak to your local FDA representative.  The FDA has hundreds of representatives and they are based in most workplaces. You can often find the contact information for your FDA representative on your personalised  FDA webpage - just  Log in). If no one is listed, contact FDA head office at 020 7401 5555.

The majority of cases can usually be handled successfully by FDA representatives in your department. However, in some cases a representative may recommend that the case be escalated to FDA head office, where a full-time FDA officer will work with you and your representative on the best course of action.   The decision to take any legal advice is always at the discretion of the FDA.