We believe in efficient public services - it has been one of our key principles since we were established more than 90 years ago.
We know that public services, and the people who deliver them, must serve all the citizens of the UK and provide the tax payer with good value for money.
To do this efficiently, they need proper investment - in people, systems and infrastructure. They also need effective leadership, and a clear vision of the direction of travel.
However, some governments have not always made these a priority.
This is why we continually advocate:
- Clear leadership and direction from ministers
- Properly funded and prioritised government policy agendas
- Well-considered policies developed through consultation and objective analysis
- Proper investment in public services (and the people who deliver them)
- Efficient use of taxpayers' money
(e.g. avoiding the use of outside consultants except in cases where internal expertise cannot be found and need not be developed)
- Parliamentary oversight of civil service ethics and governance
(to ensure the civil service is prepared to serve elected governments of any political colour)
- Investment in training for public servants