20 September 2010
(For immediate release)
ARC - the union representing senior officials in HM Revenue and Customs - has given a cautious welcome to Danny Alexander's announcement on closing the tax gap at the Liberal Democrat conference.
Graham Black, ARC President, said: "It is good to see the Government picking up the ARC campaign message about closing the tax gap as a way of defeating the deficit. But this needs to be additional investment and not just government spin.
"Last week saw the Government's own estimate of the tax gap rise by 10% - now is not the time for spin, it is the time to be bold and to address the real issue. More resources for HMRC means we can hit the deficit hard."
ARC's report, Being Bold - a Radical Approach to Raising Revenue and Defeating the Deficit, was issued on 8 September and recommended increasing the number of HMRC professionals to tackle tax cheats and raise funds for the exchequer.
Notes for editors
1. The Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) is a union representing senior staff in HM Revenue and Customs, including tax inspectors, accountants, lawyers, managers and other leading professionals. It is also a section of the FDA.
2. The FDA is the trade union and professional body representing 18,000 of the UK's senior civil and public servants. Our members include policy advisors, senior managers, tax inspectors, economists, statisticians, accountants, special advisers, government lawyers, diplomats, crown prosecutors and NHS managers.
3. The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
4. Copies of Being Bold can be obtained at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7401 5555.
5. For further information contact:
- Graham Black, ARC President, tel: 020 7401 5559 or 07766 497976.
- Debbie Stamper, ARC officer, tel: 020 7401 5555.
- Graham Flew, ARC officer, tel: 020 7401 5555.