5 December 2016
(For immediate release)
Commenting on the memo sent to civil servants threatening dismissal for any 'leaks', FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said:
"Ask any journalist worth their salt and they'll tell you that the vast majority of leaks emanate from politicians.
"Indications have been given that the Prime Minister will issue a parallel and similarly robust statement outlining that any politician found to have leaked will face a similar sanction. This would be both welcome and appropriate.
"Civil servants are being threatened with the loss of their livelihood if they are caught leaking. A similar sanction should apply to politicians, not simply the loss of the trappings of Ministerial office."
Notes for editors
1. The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals at grade HEO and above. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, diplomats, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
2. The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
3. The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
4. For further information contact:
- Dave Penman, General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07967 503827.
- Kay Hender, Communications Manager, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07980 700747.