16 March 2012
(For immediate release)
The former head of the UK Border Force, Brodie Clark, and the Home Office today issued the following joint statement:
"The Home Office and Mr Clark can announce that differences between them relating to Mr Clark's departure from the UK Border Agency in November 2011 have been settled. The settlement is made without the admission of liability or wrongdoing from either side.
"Mr Clark remains at one with the objective of the Home Office in its efforts to maintain the security of the UK's border and he wishes his ex-colleagues every future success as they deal with the challenges of this demanding and vital business. The Home Office, in recognising Mr Clark's notable contribution to public life over a long period, wishes him every success for the future.
"Both Mr Clark and the Home Office are saddened by the events that took place in November 2011. Mr Clark and the Home Office believe that reaching a settlement is right and that it will ensure that the focus is correctly maintained on future border security.
"As is usual in these circumstances neither party will make further comment."
Paul Whiteman of the FDA, the trade union representing Mr Clark, said: "Mr Clark is pleased with the outcome of yesterday's settlement which has now brought some closure for him on the unfortunate events of last November.
"This case shows the importance of trade union membership and support even at the most senior levels - particularly during difficult and challenging times."
Notes for editors
1. The FDA is the trade union and professional body representing 18,000 of the UK's senior civil and public servants. Our members include policy advisors, senior managers, tax inspectors, economists, statisticians, accountants, special advisers, government lawyers, diplomats, crown prosecutors and NHS managers.
2. Members in HMRC are represented by the Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC), a section of the FDA.
3. The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
4. Mr Clark is not available for further comment.
For further information contact:
- Paul Whiteman, FDA National Officer, tel: 020 7401 5583.
- Oliver Rowe, Communications Manager, tel: 020 7401 5588.