11 October 2013
HMRC has today published its latest estimate tax gap for 2011-12 at 7 per cent (£35 billion) of tax due.
ARC (The Association of Revenue and Customs, the section of the FDA trade union representing the senior leaders and professionals of HMRC) agrees with the comments of Edward Troup, HMRC's Tax Assurance Commissioner, that: “The range of non-compliance behaviours revealed by these tax gap figures underline why it is so important for HMRC to step up our wide-ranging activities against the minority who aren’t paying what’s due.”
ARC President Gareth Hills said Troup's comments underline ARC's message that closing the tax gap is an imperative in a time of austerity.
Hills said “Since 2010 ARC has argued that sustained and additional investment into HMRC is part of the solution to closing the tax gap. In not taking up ARC's budget 2013 proposals of investing £312m for a return of £8bn the Government has missed an opportunity to grab the most compelling invest to save argument ever”. Notes for editors
1. The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 19,000 senior civil servants, government policy advisors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors, prosecutors and other professionals working across government and the NHS.
2. The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants’ union".
3. The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk
4. The FDA alternative White Paper, ‘Delivering for the Nation: Securing a World-Class Civil Service’, can be read here.
5. For further information contact: Dave Penman, FDA General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07967 503827.
Diana Ruthven, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5588 or 07791 040394.
Gareth Hills, ARC President, tel: 07870 592356.