Thursday 26 March 2015
(For immediate release)
The Public Accounts Committee report published today titled Improving Tax Collection stated that 'HMRC could collect more of the tax that is due if it had more resources devoted to this work' and that it should 'be assertive about making this case to HM Treasury and Parliament'. It recommended that HMRC should set out how much additional tax could be collected with more funding enabling them to 'build its capability in the most critical areas'.
ARC President Tony Wallace welcomed the report:
"It is pleasing to see the Government recognising the case for more staffing resources, a case made consistently by ARC since 2010. It's time that the Treasury and HMRC caught up and also acted on the need for more resources for senior staff.
"Our research shows that for an investment of around £300m on HMRC staff, we could collect £8bn more in tax - a return of more than twenty-five to one.
"The ever widening pay disparity between the public and private sector must urgently be addressed to ensure HMRC retains its most experienced and talented staff.
"It's simple, cut the pay gap to cut the tax gap."
Notes for editors
1. Useful Links:
· Click here for the PAC report recommendations.
· Click here to download a full copy of the 50th Edition of 'Improving Tax Collection'.
2.. The Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) is a union representing senior staff in HM Revenue and Customs, including tax inspectors, accountants, lawyers, managers and other leading professionals. ARC represents members in HMRC at grade 7 and above, and also trainees in grade 7 entry schemes. It is also a section of the FDA.
3. The FDA is the trade union and professional body representing 18,000 of the UK's senior civil and public servants. Our members include policy advisors, senior managers, tax inspectors, economists, statisticians, accountants, special advisers, government lawyers, diplomats, crown prosecutors and NHS managers.
4. The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
5. For further information contact:
· Tony Wallace, ARC President, tel: 020 7401 5555.
· Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5588 or 07939 257 985.